National Certificate in Early Childhood Development N4-N6
Fully Registered with the QCTO, HWSETA, Service SETA which are under Department of Education
I’ve got your back
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as an Early Childhood Development Practitioner. An Early Childhood Development Practitioner plans and prepares early childhood activities, facilitates and mediates learning, observes and assesses the progress of children, and reflects on learning in an inclusive, play-based environment to support holistic development of children (from conception – school going) in different center-based or non-center-based settings.
Students undergo 30% theory and 70% Workplace & Practical Work placement Guaranteed in guaranteed at MUST Graduate Academy!!!
- ABET Level 4 with FLC
- Grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 (No specific subjects are required).
- NQF Level 3 or equivalent competences in Mathematical Literacy and Communications.
Knowledge (Theory) Modules
- Introduction to the early childhood development sector. (4 Credits)
- Theories and Perspectives of Child Development (6 Credits)
- Planning and Programme Development in early childhood settings (8 Credits)
- Facilitation and mediation of active learning (12 Credits)
- Observation and assessment in early childhood development. (4 Credits)
- Promotion of health, safety and well-being of children. (6 Credits)
- Administration for early childhood development services and programmes, at (3 Credits)
Total Credits for Knowledge Subjects: 43
- Plan and prepare inclusive educational activities and routines using an approved programme based on the curriculum framework. (12 Credits)
- Facilitate and mediate active learning in an integrated and holistic learning
- Programme. (9 Credits)
- Observe, assess, record and report each child’s progress according to the age (4 Credits)
- Support and promote the health, nutrition, safety, protection and well-being of children. (12 Credits)
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with parents and other service providers. (3 Credits)
- Prepare and maintain administrative systems. (3 Credits)
Total Credits for Practical Skills Modules: 43
- Learning programme and routines planning and preparation process. (13 Credits)
- (Processes of facilitating and mediating the learning programme in a variety of contexts. (15 Credits)
- Processes of observation, assessment, recording and reporting on children’s learning and development. (7 Credits)
- Processes and procedures of promoting the health, nutrition, safety, protection and well-being of children in an early childhood development setting. (10 Credits)
Total Credits for Work Experience Modules: 60
Recipients of this Qualification will be able to:
A qualified learner will be able to:
- Plan and prepare broad-phase learning environment and stimulating activities that meet the holistic needs of all children in centre-based or non-centre-based settings.
- Facilitate and mediate all aspects of the daily programme in a centre-based or non-centre based setting.
- Observe, assess and record each child’s progress according to the age and stage.
- Compile a report of each child’s progress.
- Maintain and promote the well-being, health, nutrition, safety and protection of children.
- Further Education and Training Certificate in Early Childhood Development, NQF Level 4, SAQA ID: 58761.
- National Certificate in Early Childhood Development, NQF Level 5, SAQA ID: 58761.
- National Diploma in Early Childhood Development, NQF Level 5, SAQA ID: 64650.
- Crèche Leader
- Nursery Nurse
- Special Educational Needs Supporter
- Pre-school Leader
- Nursery Supervision
ASSESSMENT OF THIS PROGRAMME
MUST Graduate Academy will conduct internal assessments by means of assessment activities and signed-off work experience log sheets. Upon successful completion of all modules, MUST Graduate Academy provides a statement of results to the candidate and QCTO, as part of the candidate’s application to complete the External Summative Assessment conducted by the QCTO
Learners will be formatively assessed in theoretical studies on the basis of assignments, an individual and group project and as well as short test. Assignments, case studies, problem-solving techniques will assist with formative assessment. Learners will also be formatively assessed in real work environment on the basis of observation in natural setting; unobtrusive or planned. Behavior and performance will be evaluated.
Upon completion of the training learners will be issued with a statement of results by the college which will allow them to sit for national examination.
NB: National examinations are written in March and October/November every year.
Learners who passed National Examination will be awarded Occupational Qualification: Early Childhood Development L4 by Quality Council (QCTO).
CREDITS AND SAQA APPROVAL
Approved by SAQA at NQF Level 3, SAQA ID 97542 , with 131 Credits